Thursday, April 10, 2008

On the Bible

As Reformed Christians, we rely primarily upon Scripture as we seek to serve and glorify God. Unfortunately, however, we often use the Bible as a tool to justify our preconceived agendas, instead of humbly listening for God’s guidance. At times we are so intent on declaring the authority of Scripture that we neglect prayerful reflection and study of it. We settle for platitudes and simplistic concepts instead of opening ourselves to the ways that God uses the Bible to transform us. My doctoral work comes from my desire to explore the Bible more deeply, and to develop a greater understanding of how God’s message comes to us through it. I am constantly amazed at the ways in which Scripture fails to match our expectations for it. I eagerly open myself to the challenges which God continues to provide through his written word.

No comments: